Welcome to my blog

A blog about miscarrriage, infertility, pregnancy, birth and mothering. My name is Emily and this is the story of my journey in motherhood.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

A lesson in Empathy

Bearing up under our own burdens can help us develop a reservoir of empathy for the problems others face. - L. Whitney Clayton

Lately I have been trying to be in tune to what lessons I could learn right now and a huge lesson I see right now is empathy. Here are two recent examples:

Yesterday I asked a friend how his sister was. Awhile ago he had shared with me that she was struggling to get pregnant and had had several m/c. Then a couple months ago he shared that she was pregnant with twins from IVF. I had thought of this stranger half way across the world and wondered how she was doing, finally I had my chance to inquire yesterday. He told me that she had lost the babies. My hear sank and I felt my eyes moisten. I could taste her disappointment, her anger, her grief. I am not saying I completely understand her situation, I don't. But I emphasised with this woman. My heart went out to her in a way I have not previously experienced. If I have gained anything from this experience, I have gained empathy.

But empathy has a happy flip side to it too. I always thought empathy meant understanding grief and pain, but an experience this week taught me that I can also empathise with peoples joy. I got an e-mail that a dear friend adopted a baby. Rarely have I ever felt so happy for another human being. I wanted to jump up and down and tell everyone I knew and knit something for this cute, adorable little bundle of wonderfulness that filled her new parents dreams. And lying in bed that night I realized two things, one happy endings (or maybe happy beginnings) do happen and two my heart feels on a new deeper level because of journey in motherhood. One of the hidden gems from my journey.

My name is Emily and this is the story of my journey in motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment